MOUNTAIN GARAGE SALE WEEKEND--Memorial Weekend; May 24, 25, 26, 2008
Twice a year, Lake Arrowhead and the surrounding mountain areas, have "Garage Sale Weekend." We have one Memorial Weekend and Labor Day Weekend. This gives our full-time and part-time mountain residents a chance to clean out, clear out, de-clutter and make a few bucks. Since 50% of our home owners are "weekenders," this is PERFECT for them IF they are selling their cabin/home. Instead of packing up unwanted pieces of furniture and other household items, they can help someone else who has just pruschased a place and is looking to furnish it without buying a bunch of new stuff. DID I mention RECYCLING? Garage Sales really are the BEST way to recycle.
Since I've had my fair share of Garage Sales over the years, I thought I'd share a few of my tips.
- ADVERTISE--in your local newspaper, YouTube, Craigslist
- SIGNS directing people to your sale. Put on your creative hat : whatever you use (cardborad, etc)Write BIG, BOLD and CLEAR. Include: date, time and address. Use directional arrows >>>>. (Make sure it is okay to put up signs in your area)
- CLEAN/WASH/WIPE DOWN items for sale. They'll look better and sell faster.
- PRICE ITEMS THE NIGHT BEFORE; use stick-on labels, A bright COLOR is good.
- SET UP ITEMS in some orderly fashion: Shoes in one spot, dishes is another, clothing in another, etc.
- WAIST HIGH tables--Make it easy for YOUR customers to check out the goodies. Bending and crawling around on the ground, just isn't that much fun. Clothing should be on hangers and hanging at eye-level.
- GO TO THE BANK and get $100 worth of change: ones, fives, tens and coins.
- SET UP A TABLE where customers can come and pay for items. KEEP jewerly here and other small valuables.
- WEAR a fanny pack; This can be your CASH REGISTER
- THINK LIKE A STORE OWNER.
- Most important...HAVE FUN!!!!