- ICE CASTLE INTERNATIONAL TRAINING CENTER: At an elevation of 5,400 feet, in the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, we have the Ice Castle International Training Center. Michelle Kwan trained right here! I remember when I first moved to Lake Arrowhead in 1991, seeing Michelle and her family at Lake Arrowhead Village--lake side. Michelle was actually practicing her skating moves. In tennies... I had no idea at that moment who she was or what she would become! The training center is now open for public skating (certain times & days)...
cont... But before Lake Arrowhead had the "training" center, there was the Ice Castle; a public ice-skating rink in Blue Jay, California, built back in 1934 (photo from Rim of the World Historical Society). The Ice Castle was an opened-air rink for decades, surrounded by towering pines and cedars. At some point, however, a roof was added. Then, in 2001, heavy snowfall caused the roof to cave-in. The owner decided not to rebuild. Today, WINDERMERE Fine Properties has their office here (photo above). A great setting to work in, isn't it?
- LAKE ARROWHEAD VILLAGE: There is always something to do or see at Lake Arrowhead Village. You can shop til you drop, walk til you drop and eat til you can't eay anymore. The Village has restaurants galore for all tastes; Mexican, Sushi, Waffles, seafood, smoothies or candyshops. But if you want to find out all about Lake Arrowhead and its history, take a ride on The Arrowhead Queen. A ride on this tour boat will give you a great lesson about the area, now and then. View homes of past celebrities (not so much today's celebrities, for privacy reasons), plus there are places on the lake that you can only see from a boat. FUN trip!
For all events going on this summer, including Southern California's Largest, FREE Summer Concerts, check out the Lake Arrowhead Village link above.
- CAMPING, HIKING, FISHING, PICNICING!..oh my. San Bernardino Ranger Station/Lake Arrowhead is where to begin if you want to "get back to nature." At the ranger station you can buy your ADVENTURE PASS (you must have one), get maps of trails and campgrounds. You'll learn how to have a safe, mountain experience. You may WANT to reserve your camping spot SOON, especially in the summer!! I was driving thru "Dogwood Campground" near Blue Jay few days ago, andI noticed RESERVED tags on ALMOST all sites for this weekend. (call 909-382-2782).
- RIM OF THE WORLD SCENIC HIGHWAY... Is an eighty-seven-mile-long, drive that takes you from San Bernardino all through the forested San Bernardino Mountains. You'll wind along Rim of The World's Highways' 18 and 138, and through quaint mountain towns like Big Bear Lake, Running Springs, Sky Forest, Rim Forest, to name a few. You can access Lake Arrowhead by turning off Highway 18 and onto Highway 173. Rim of The World Highway, a National Scenic Byway, goes from an elevation of 1,000 feet at San Bernardino to over 8,000 feet. Makes for a great Sunday afternoon drive!
- TAVERN BAY BEACH CLUB: Beginning in July, every Thursday evening at Lake Arrowhead's Tavern Bay Beach Club, across from UCLA Conference Center, we have the Arrowhead Arts Music Festival. Concert dates are from July 10, thru August 7, 2008. It's easy to relax, have fun and enjoy Lake Arrowhead's cool evenings under clear, blue skies, as you listen to bands like the Hotel California (tribute to the Eagles) and the Fab Four, a tribute to the Beatles. For a list of all bands, dates, costs and times see Arrowhead Arts Association. Check out this TAVERN BAY BEACH CLUB map to for directions.
'COME UP FOR AIR..." You won't be sorry.
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Things to do while visiting The San Bernardino Mountains
- ► 2014 (12)
- ► 2013 (54)
- ► 2012 (35)
- ► 2009 (34)
06/15 - 06/22
- Renaissance Faire & Swashbuckler's Festival--UPDAT...
- ART and WINE FESTIVAL IN LAKE ARROWHEAD
- Things to do while visiting The San Bernardino Mou...
- 26697 Thunderbird Dr Lake Arrowhead--Rustic Home
- 843 ARROWHEAD VILLAS RD, ARROWHEAD VILLAS
- 531 DOVER COURT, ARROWHEAD VILLAS, CA
- 26665 MERCED LANE, LAKE ARROWHEAD, CA 92352
- ▼ 06/15 - 06/22 (7)