Friday, October 17, 2008

CRASH & BURN COMPUTERS--BACK IT UP


Q: What's worse than your computer crashing?
A: Your computer CRASHING and LOSING ALL YOUR DATA...every stinkin' bit.
This has happened to me twice in the past two years. You'd have thought, after number #1 crash, I would have backed up EVERYTHING, EVERY TIME I went to log off. But, oh no, I have that "I'll do it later" mentality. And, of course, later never came. I'm one of those naive people who thinks "It won't happen to me." But guess what? It does and can.
Recently, one of "My Three Sons" mentioned he had bought an external hard-drive to backup the data from his laptop. We chatted back and forth about it for several weeks until I eventually BIT the bullet and ordered one. My external hard drive is an IOMEGA and can hold a million-trillion-zillion GIGABYTES (GB) (well, maybe only 250GB). It comes with a USB cord, so I can plug IT into any computer. And it's only about 6X4 inches. I'm not suggesting any particular product, only telling you what I have).
Here's what I can do with IT:
MOVE/SAVE DOCUMENTS/PICTURES/VIDEOS, etc TO IT
MOVE MY 'FAVORITES/BOOKMARKS' TO IT
MOVE ALL PERSONAL "STUFF" TO IT
BACKUP EVERY THING FROM MY LAPTOP TO IT--THE ENTIRE SYSTEM
TAKE IT TO ANOTHER COMPUTER AND UPLOAD ANY OR EVERYTHING FROM IT
IF MY 'PUTER CRASHES, AGAIN, I CAN PLUG IT IN... AND VOILA', MY STUFF IS RETRIVED & I WON'T HAVE TO BE RESUSCITATED.
...BUT I didn't stop at the IOMEGA. I also bought a little JUMP-DRIVE that has 4GB (that is a LOT), so I can keep it on my key chain. I use this when I don't need my IOMEGA, or don't need to back up my entire system. The JUMP DRIVE is only about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide.
Here's what I can do with IT:

TRANSFER/MOVE/SAVE FILES, DOCUMENTS, PICTURES, VIDEOS onto IT
PLUG IT IN TO ANY OTHER COMPUTER WHICH I USE AND RETRIEVE ANY INFO I NEED FROM IT
OR, UPLOAD INFO FROM IT TO ANOTHER COMPUTER.
TOSS IT INTO MY PURSE
I'm sure (if I read everything in the instruction manual for these items) they do MUCH, MUCH more.
All I can say is, THANK GOODNESS I now have a BACKUP PLAN!



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Blog Archive